Monday 21 February 2011

Work Experience @ Mudpie

For the past two weeks I have been away from uni on work experience at Mudpie. In order to define my career path within the fashion industry, I wanted to gain experience and knowledge of the trend forecasting industry and see what it has to offer.
I really didn't know what to expect from my time at Mudpie but I have been very pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. During my time there, I worked alongside the MPDclick team which is in control of the subscription based trend forecasting website. I felt I was given a lot of responsibility, as I was set to work straight away uploading New York Fashion Week catwalk reports, editing street style reports and researching for numerous trend articles. I really got to see the workings of a trend forecasting website and all the different areas they cover, such as street style, trade fairs, runway, retail and trend predictions.
Whilst I was there I was given the task of researching and writing a trend report to be published on their website. I was really excited to get this opportunity but also felt a bit under pressure, as it really put my writing skills to the test!
I really enjoyed my time at Mudpie as everyone was very welcoming and made me feel like part of their team. I have realised that fashion journalism is a major skill needed within trend forecasting, as MPDclick is basically an online trend magazine reporting on all trend issues. On reflection, although I do enjoy writing, I feel that this may not be my ideal career path. I have realised I prefer to work in contact with clothing, in a more creative, hands on approach, which is why I am going to continue to explore print design for this project. Overall, his has been an extremely positive experience and I am very proud that my article was published on their website. Here it is.....