Friday 11 March 2011

Panelled tops experiments

I have been busy developing my print designs on Illustrator since I was last on here. I have decided to use the line drawings of the shells, etc as a starting point for my range of print designs. My print designs have developed quite a lot and I have started to create a style and look which I feel will define my prints. I am liking the effect of the clean and simple line illustrations layered in a variety of colours on top of a bold background colour. This way I feel the detail in the line drawings aren't lost and the overall print doesn't look too busy.
At the moment the biggest trouble I am having is trying to define a colour palette. I love combining and using a variety of colour and shades, although I am going to have to think about creating a defined colour palette in order to create a more cohesive print range and one that is more fashion lead, as some of the colour combinations do lend themselves more to interiors at the moment.
As you can see, I have also been experimenting with how my prints would look on a garment and simultaneously the use of printed panels within the garment. My idea behind the panels was that I could possibly make my prints more wearable and appealing to the mass market, as I wasn't sure if giant shells covering an entire garment might be too much for the average high street consumer. The panels also add an extra design detail to the garment, enhancing the unique designs.